Friday, March 4, 2011

My Rare Blog Post

This will be only the second time that I have ever written a blog post, but this experience needs mentioning. The setting was in the grocery store this evening:

Stacie (after about 5 minutes looking around): I can't find the sweet potatoes.
Jared: They are right there on the end of the aisle.
Stacie: Where? I don't see them... I don't think they have any.
Jared: They are right there, next to the regular potatoes.
Stacie: Those are yams, we need sweet potatoes.
Jared: Ummm... they are the same thing.
Stacie: Really...

The best part was after that Stacie kept trying to tell me yams weren't sweet potatoes and another dude behind her was nodding to me, mouthing the words, "They are the same thing."

On another note. I have successfully fixed three things in our apartment as of late. Our garbage can lid now stays closed without duct tape, our DVD remote works again, and I fixed our onion chopper tonight. I may have the makings for a regular handyman after all.

5 comments:

Justin and LaRaine said...

Close, but not quite! I thought they were the same thing for the longest time, but through vigorous research I found that they are not the same. ha :)

Mikell said...

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sweetpotatodiff.htm
Ahem, you were saying?

Momma G. said...

Although yams and sweet potatoes are both angiosperms (flowering plants), they are not related botanically. Yams are a monocot (a plant having one embryonic seed leaf) and from the Dioscoreaceae or Yam family. Sweet Potatoes, often called ‘yams’, are a dicot (a plant having two embryonic seed leaves) and are from the Convolvulacea or morning glory family. Yeh, I'm with you Stacie! Just call me a botanist brain!!!

Rachel said...

Good for you Jared. Sounds like you are being quite handy! I love a garbage can that stays closed.

Emily said...

Stacie: 1 Jared: 0... sorry, bud.